Attention leadership scholars! You are invited to submit a brief research proposal to participate in the following VIRTUAL AOM session:
Improving Leadership Research: Mentoring to Develop Proposals into High Quality Publications
This Academy of Management PDW provides students and junior faculty the opportunity to discuss their leadership research in an informal and collegial setting with prominent leadership scholars. Based on their proposed research theory and methods, the junior scholars will be matched with a more senior scholar with similar research interests (not from their home university). During the session, the senior scholars will discuss research proposals submitted prior to the conference by the junior scholars, providing insights and suggestions for future research.
Given the virtual format of the Academy meetings this year (due to the COVID-19 pandemic), we will be hosting a virtual version of this session. Proposal submission and selection will proceed as usual, and accepted submissions will be grouped into virtual “tables” for discussion with the mentors. We will then email each table group to arrange a date/time for their group to meet and discuss the authors’ proposal. This meeting time will be during August, but does NOT have to take place during the official Academy session. We will provide meeting resources (including a Zoom meeting link as needed) to each table group.
The senior leadership scholars (editors and editorial board members of our major journals) who will be mentoring the junior scholars are:
- Antonakis, John
- Atwater, Leanne
- Bastardoz, Nicolas
- Cogliser, Claudia
- Cole, Michael
- Daniels, Michael
- Epitropaki, Olga
- Gardner, Bill
- Gottfredson, Ryan
- Humphrey, Ronald
- Kark, Ronit
- Lee, Gregory
- Lowe, Kevin
- Markham, Steve
- Martin, Robin
- Menges, Jochen
- Meuser, Jeremy
- Riggio, Ron
- Scandura, Terri
- Schriesheim, Chet
- Sully de Luque, Mary
- Uhl-Bien, Mary
- van Dijk, Dina
- Weinberg, Frankie
- Yammarino, Fran
- Yukl, Gary
- Zubac, Angelina
The focus of the session will be on developing theoretical foundations and designing high quality empirical studies. We promote use of various methods that would benefit from collaborations with other scholars; e.g., multiple comparative case studies, critical incident diaries, field experiments and survey studies. This is a great opportunity for junior scholars to develop their ideas, and to establish new collaborative relationships. This session is focused on work in progress; it is not suited for participants with completed research projects.
Potential participants must email a brief research proposal to Dr. Marie Dasborough by July 24, 2020 (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org). In the email submission, participants should indicate if they are a doctoral student or faculty member. They should also indicate in the email (not on the proposal document) their top 4 preferences for who they would like to work with from the list of senior leadership scholars. Participants will then be notified by email if their proposal was accepted for discussion at the VIRTUAL PDW.
Required Proposal Format
- Title of Project
- Name of Advisors/Supervisors/Collaborators (if it is a student submission – please ask advisors to read your proposal before submission)
- Brief Abstract (not to exceed 150 words)
- Key Words (4 words)
- Overview of Research Proposal (not to exceed 1500 words)
- Research Topic
- Theoretical Foundation /Conceptual Framework
- Research Questions/Hypotheses
- Proposed Methods (there should be no Results yet!)
- Proposed Contributions (Theoretical/Practical Implications)
- Challenges (not to exceed 350 words)
- What theoretical issues need clarification?
- What are the main problem areas with your proposed design and methodology?
- What other specific questions would you like to ask the senior leadership scholars?
- References (APA style)
- Appendices (optional)
- Figure showing model / framework
- Interview protocol (if appropriate)
- List of measures / items in measures (if appropriate)
- Other information that you would like feedback on